victor

What Anime Are You Watching Right Now?

+rei+    35366

what went down? 

N e J i    895

New releases:
All Out!!: This is really an anime about teaching, education and coaching disguised as a sports anime about Rugby. There are a few deep exchanges between the adults that caught me by surprise because we don't often get to see them in this genre. It shines when the spotlight is on the adults, it falters when the focus is on the (stupid and clumsy) kids. Also, ugly design and poor animation by Madhouse doesn't happen very often but it does here and it's kind of a shame. 6/10

Boruto: Naruto the Movie: I still don't know how I feel about this new generation but I think that it does work here, mainly because it's still very much about the end of Naruto's story. Gotta respect the effort they put into the animation and besides, I really do love Sasuke's new role as basically Konoha's James Bond so I guess it's a hit for me. 7/10

Days: It's incredibly silly and sometimes down-right absurd but it has a heart of gold, just like it's protagonist. Plus, a different and beautiful design that, if not necessarily something I'd enjoy seeing more in other animes, still works really well on this one. It's pure vanilla ice cream for a sport's anime hardcore fan, so it does earns bonus points for that. 7/10

Demi-chan wa Kataitai: This was never a 12 episode series. This is a movie. And as a movie, it would have been short and sweet. As a series, it starts sweet and ends up flavorless. 6/10

Haikyuu!!: From a plot standpoint, it is an incredibly unoriginal and straightforward take on a sports anime. Where it excels is in the execution, making tremendously intense set-pieces and delivering, quite possibly, the most kinetic anime of its kind. 9/10

Hibiki! Euphonium: Many animes are pretty, this is beautiful. Not just beautiful. The design and animation are downright gorgeous. It works both as a teen drama and as a band drama. I won't pretend that it is incredibly original but it is almost always the best version of what it can be. 8/10

Spirited Away: It's such an imposing vision and animation style that one can't be left indifferent. That being said, I just can't connect with most of what Studio Ghibli is usually up to. I deeply respect and admire these films but I don't enjoy watching them and I'd be lying if I said that enjoyment isn't a key aspect of a movie-watching experience. 7/10

The Dragon Dentist: Good original concept and animation doesn't make up for an aimless and inconsistent plot. 6/10

Rewatches:
Bleach: A few notes before the review. I rewatched it without fillers so all my opinions assume there's no such thing as the abomination that is almost 50% of the series. Also, since there's such a clear distinction between arcs, both in terms of story and execution, I'll also talk about each one individually.

• Soul Society: This is what propelled Bleach to the top charts for a number of years, in what was known at the time, together with One Piece and Naruto, as the big three. And rightfully so I must say. The Soul Society arc is nothing short of a masterpiece of Shounen animation. It is, for one, incredibly melancholic, which is something ingrained in the cinematography, with the use of both foggy and saturated color palettes; in the soundtrack, with themes such as "Creeping Shadows", "Burden of Past" and especially "Nothing Can Be Explained"; and also in the actual story, with themes of loss and grief always present. This is still a Shounen anime though and the melancholy works mostly on a subliminal level, always to increase the intensity of the action or make for cool and stylish character moments. Style is a tremendously important factor in Bleach. Making the characters look cool is one of the main drivers of the story, and cool they look for a number of times. This could be a liability in weaker plots but not the case here, where the plot is one of the stronger elements, working as a mystery disguised as an action setup, with various layers neatly sewed together to progressively increase the tension until the big reveal and showdown. The pacing is excellent, creating a sense of urgency that sustains all the action. It is, in short, a flawless execution of the Shounen genre. 10/10

• Arrancars: This is basically a repetition of the Soul Society arc, without the mystery and the great execution. It feels like the work of someone who became disenchanted with the whole thing. There's an idea behind the arc, which is to turn things around, making the characters that were once the villains now the heroes, however, there are too many contrivances sustaining the plot for one to ignore. It's also somewhat repetitive. Scratch that. It's completely repetitive, almost to the point of self parody. Repetitiveness leads to predictability and that hurts the effect of those cool moments that worked so well on the first arc. With the exception of 2 or 3, the new characters barely register, so we spend way too much time with boring caricatures, instead of actually fleshed out characters. The design and animation also take a massive hit in terms of quality, as does the soundtrack which is used considerably less organically with the action. Granted, the three main fights (Grimmjow, Ulquiorra and Aizen) are really impressive but that isn't nowhere nearly enough to save the arc. 6/10

• Fullbring: This is interesting because it feels like they're trying to recuperate some of that sweet magic from the first arc, turning Bleach into something almost like a neo-noir. They're almost able to pull it off, however, they couldn't quite find the right tone. For the story to work, my guess is that they'd have to go much darker and ditch a lot of the more childish characters and aspects of the story. Furthermore, there really isn't a truly cool "Bleach" moment so it also doesn't quite feel like Bleach. It's something strange and I still can't figure out if I like it or not. 6/10
Edited by N e J i

+Urthor    10206

rip good anime is hard to find, there hasn't really been a standout series I actually want to watch in so long.  The Rakuyo one was as close as it gets

»Tygo    14311

Neji, review the last arc of bleach manga too. I'd love to here a better, now in depth opinion than my "wtf rushed" thoughts. 

HououinKyouma    796
On 4/22/2017 at 9:57 PM, Urthor said:

rip good anime is hard to find, there hasn't really been a standout series I actually want to watch in so long.  The Rakuyo one was as close as it gets

snb virgin soul

• Upvote 1

+Urthor    10206

Bahamut vs Unlimited Budget Works, the ultimate battle for who can burn the most money for an opening episode shall commence. 

• Upvote 1

+Gojira    1706
48 minutes ago, Urthor said:

Bahamut vs Unlimited Budget Works, the ultimate battle for who can burn the most money for an opening episode shall commence. 

If I remember correctly, both pretty much retain quality (animation anyway) throughout.

N e J i    895
On 23/04/2017 at 6:02 PM, Tygo said:

Neji, review the last arc of bleach manga too. I'd love to here a better, now in depth opinion than my "wtf rushed" thoughts. 

Actually, I dropped it early on. It started getting on my nerves. I saw how it ended though so I guess I didn't miss much. I might be wrong though. I might revisit the manga eventually. If I do, I'll be sure to drop a few words.

+rei+    35366

Gundam Wing

Eromanga Sensei  (... for now)

Attack on Titan

Re:Zero 

+Gojira    1706

Watching World End at the moment. Definitely some problems with the execution, but the fairly subtle handling of the plot intrigued me, so I looked up the light novel.

It's basically the best set up for a harem story ever.

Aaron    1978

when is re zero s02 happening?

boku no hero and attack on titan both finishing. i now have no anime to watch.

attack on titan continues the trend set by itself with a phenomenal ost, fast pacing and mystery after mystery after mystery with no answer. really highlighted the strength of the supporting cast, i now really like loads of them and will be pissed off if/when they die. mikasa is still the ultimate dream girl. sadly no plot progression for a show which only has 13 episodes a year is annoying as fuck. 

just finishing up parasyte.. really good anime. wish i didn't watch half it in the gym on a treadmill. on episode 18 and it was beautiful. feel the animation in general is a bit old school and shit. 

Aaron    1978

I've picked up no game no life (i know im late the party). Just finished episode 2 and honestly really really promising.  Its just non stop entertainment and lolz so far with 2 very flawed yet intelligent protagonists. Bit heavy on the ecchi but they do it in a funny way rather than a perverted one so im cool with it. 

I also finished One Piece Dress Rosa arc. It ended up being really good but really slow. I think the pacing of this show really really is now holding back any momentum it can build. Your plot can be the best in the world but if your pacing is that piss poor then you're doomed. I'm getting slightly bored of the formula of every Straw Hat separates, takes on a separate villain but Luffy's fight is always the most pivotal. They could do with shaking that up. There were PLENTY of plot twists in fight to keep me entertained and a few of the side villain's pasts were actually really good/sad/shocking  like that guy who wore a diaper and dummy. 

I'm still waiting for the next anime to get me addicted. It'll probably  be re:zero s02. 

Edited by Aaron

+Gojira    1706
8 hours ago, Aaron said:

I've picked up no game no life (i know im late the party). Just finished episode 2 and honestly really really promising.  Its just non stop entertainment and lolz so far with 2 very flawed yet intelligent protagonists. Bit heavy on the ecchi but they do it in a funny way rather than a perverted one so im cool with it. 

I also finished One Piece Dress Rosa arc. It ended up being really good but really slow. I think the pacing of this show really really is now holding back any momentum it can build. Your plot can be the best in the world but if your pacing is that piss poor then you're doomed. I'm getting slightly bored of the formula of every Straw Hat separates, takes on a separate villain but Luffy's fight is always the most pivotal. They could do with shaking that up. There were PLENTY of plot twists in fight to keep me entertained and a few of the side villain's pasts were actually really good/sad/shocking  like that guy who wore a diaper and dummy. 

I'm still waiting for the next anime to get me addicted. It'll probably  be re:zero s02. 

No game no life is a fun one. I think there's a sequel/prequel actually out for it now too?

4 hours ago, Francis J Underwood said:

Anything good in the current sesson. Watching kakegurui but not really impressed

I haven't found anything current airing to be watchable tbh.

From just ended shows:

I kinda liked KADO: the right answer, except for the ending. Although I guess the ending fulfilled its goal well. The CGI was grating sometimes, but also necessary.

Nish    252

Made in Abyss and Princess Principal are fairly watchable from the new season

Kakegurui is also kinda fun too

Aaron    1978

no game no life was ok. too much ecchi for me tbh. 

some of the plot twists are great (like the kings one) but most of them really abuse the loosely defined "magic system", the chess game early on was a joke beyond jokes. it gets better as it goes on but then they throw in more bs like his coin flip at the end. 

really hard to take it at all seriously within its own univerise and confines of logic(?). 

its nice for comedic relief except too much ecchi for me. 

Very hard to find good anime, thought thsi would be one. 

Aaron    1978
On 15/08/2017 at 4:02 AM, Jesus the Jew said:

I'm enjoying My Hero Academia quite a bit.

its rly good isnt it. i feel it has loads of potential too but will probably waste it a little. i want to start to see more plot twists, more heroes at eachothers throats at some point. 

Jesus the Jew    996

Yeah the promising part is that season 2 definitely improved on season 1. The tournament arc was awesome and the pacing has been flawless so far.

I'm with you on One Piece. The manga is just so much better than the anime.

• Upvote 1

+Gojira    1706
9 hours ago, Aaron said:

its rly good isnt it. i feel it has loads of potential too but will probably waste it a little. i want to start to see more plot twists, more heroes at eachothers throats at some point. 

From how the manga is doing, I think the anime has a good chance of continuing to get better.

Currently watching 

Kakegurui - Its a fun ride, but really doesnt offer anything more than a time kill every week. 

Still looking for something enthralling and captivating, but that's been in a short supply for years. 

Thinking about watching my hero academia given everything i have heard about it. 

Guru    693

Currently watching:

Made in Abyss (best anime of season)
Symphogear (guilty pleasure)
New Game!! (cute girls making video games)
Dragonball Super (it's motherfucking dbz come on)

• Upvote 1