J o S e J u A n

What was the last film you watched?

+rei+    35015
On 2020-04-27 at 9:13 AM, Aaron said:

Batman the Killing Joke

It was okay. Started off quite well although off tangent with the Barbara focus but I liked the initial antagonist. However a lot of emotional impact at the end really fell flat. The investment in the romantic side of things during the start of the film had zero pay off or impact on what happened in the second and third act.  

I can't help but feel it was overall quite underwhelming and thats probably down to the lack of focus, care or attention on the Joker & Batman who both got surprisingly little development in a film which should have been dedicated to both of them. 

Technically I thought the sound design was good, nice subwoofer use and surround use. The animation was very average, and overall lacking a fair bit of detail in a few scenes. 

have you read the comic? It's quite short 

Aaron    2065
On 4/28/2020 at 7:44 PM, rei said:

have you read the comic? It's quite short 

Yup was good. I think better than the film, which is rare for me to say as I normally prefer the animation to the manga/comic. 

Watched Handmaiden 2016. 

Excellent film, story. Twist caught me off guard.  Negatives were the main 'villain' out of place and like an anime character and the pacing was maybe a little bit off. Also the second 'villain' being a bit under developed and one dimensional was frustrating. He also showed a little bit of vulnerability near the end with the rich woman, which was very unlike him. 

Sound design was a bit lacking IMO. It was no Dolby Atmos or earth shattering experience. It was subtle and nice but I didn't feel it stood out.  PQ wise I thought it was distinctly average too. Nice color grading but meh. 

Overall its beautiful and very close to a modern day masterpiece for the story it tells, the complexity of the story, the character development, the multiple interwoven stories and the satisfying ending. Definitely reccomend watching if you have the time and are into Korean film. 

I don't like scoring films like this because I'd say its an 8.5/10. The more  I think about it, the higher I think the score should be but the missing element for me is I wasn't completely engrossed by the film and its probably down the male actors being a bit lacking in execution and the quality of the material given to them. It really painted every single man in the film as a gigantic pervert. 

Aaron    2065
Posted (edited)

The Pianist 3.5/5

Powerful film but technically a bit rubbish. It had some very moving scenes but for a runtime of 150 minutes, I felt like it had a fair but of fluff which I could have done without. If this was one hour and a half and managed to pack in the same ammount of magic, I'd rate it an 4 or a 5. 

Se7en 3.5/5

This film was probably revolutionary and incredible back in the day and set the standard for dark storytelling. However, I've watched plenty of anime, horror films, and TV shows which have been made since then. Basically, I guessed roughly the ending halfway through the film when the killer doesn't kill Brad Pitt. I feel like a lot of this film was based on the emotional impact it'd have at the end, and it obviously didn't shock me as much since I'd guessed what would happen. 

Up 4.5/5

The first 5 minutes is probably some of the best, most beautiful, storytelling in cinematic history. The rest of it is fun, charming, beautiful and easygoing. It does this whilst having a main character of an old retired man and a young kid. It set out what it wanted to do to near perfection. It could have probably have tug at the heartstrings a bit more if it wanted to, but it kept everything in perspective which I liked to. I struggl to understand how this film is not more known mainstream wise as some of the best Pixar has produced. 

The Intouchables 5/5

Its an awesome film which explores a very intimate relationship between two men from opposite lives. For what it wants to do, I feel its pretty perfect. Could be a 9, 9.5, 10... whatever score I give it, I think everyone should watch it. 

Memories of a Murder 5/5

Now this was fantastic. A thriller done right with a gut wrenching ending. Knowing its based on real life events just makes the film even more scary. 

Justice League Flashpoint Paradox 5/5

Oh god, if this was done as a live action film, it would be the best superhero film ever made. 

Edited by Aaron

HououinKyouma    832
On 5/10/2020 at 5:52 AM, Aaron said:

Memories of a Murder 5/5

Now this was fantastic. A thriller done right with a gut wrenching ending. Knowing its based on real life events just makes the film even more scary. 

This may be my favorite film of all time. Just so much about it was spectacular. BJH nailed this one.

Also every frame a painting did a great video essay on it.

Aaron    2065
16 hours ago, HououinKyouma said:

This may be my favorite film of all time. Just so much about it was spectacular. BJH nailed this one.

Also every frame a painting did a great video essay on it.

Reveal hidden contents

Awesome film. Korean cinema is fanastic. I finished Parasite and Handmaiden recently too. 

HououinKyouma    832
2 hours ago, Aaron said:

Awesome film. Korean cinema is fanastic. I finished Parasite and Handmaiden recently too. 

I think world cinema in general is great, it gives you an interesting peek into the psyche of different countries. It can give you insight into how people are living across the world or explain societal/political issues that would be otherwise be hard to understand. I think BJH is great at showing how a portion of South Korea lives, and visually show us the society that these people live in. In general I'm much more interested in Japanese cinema, but there's definitely great stuff that is coming out of pretty much all of Asia that I do enjoy watching through. Right now there's just so many great directors working out of Korea BJH, lee chang dong, hong sang soo, etc. But there are definitely just as many great directors spread across Asia like Koreeda, Sono, hou hsiao shen, wkw, etc.